The Handmaid's Tale: Graphic Novel by Margaret Atwood

 



      The Handmaid's Tale: Graphic Novel had a beautiful art style to go along with a heartbreaking story. I've read The Handmaid's Tale before, but this is the first time I've read the graphic novel. The graphic novel follows an unnamed woman as she navigates a dystopian future where conservative fundamentalists have taken over America while using gorgeous art to convey Margaret Atwood's message. I've been a fan of this novel for years, I've even watched the TV show, and I still love seeing new adaptations of it.

      The Handmaid's Tale is even more relevant after the Supreme Court repealed Roe v. Wade. Reading this novel makes me worry about the future, especially seeing how divided the county is today. At the same time, it's incredible seeing how far intersectional feminism has come since the novel was published in 1985. Knowing that society has improved their attitudes towards women, people of color, and the LGBTQ+ community makes me feel more optimistic about where this country is headed. 

      On that note, one of the biggest criticisms of The Handmaid's Tale is that Margaret Atwood is mostly focusing on how a world like this would specifically affect white women using events that have already happened to women of color. The Handmaid's Tale is considered an important piece of feminist literature, but it is not nearly as inclusive as it should be, especially because it was written in the 1980's.

      Overall, I really enjoyed rereading The Handmaid's Tale and looking at this beautiful artwork, but, just like the original source material, it could be more inclusive. Personally, I'd rate this a 5/5 and I'd highly recommend reading this and the original novel.

Panels





Comments

Popular Posts