The Will to Change: Men, Masculinity, and Love by Bell Hooks

 

The Will to Change: Men, Masculinity, and Love by Bell Hooks is a well written novel about how the patriarchy has affected men and how feminism can benefit them. I enjoyed reading something a little deeper and seeing how our culture has affected the men in my life. It's interesting not only reading the effect, but also the solution to how these men are able to establish healthy lives and boundaries within a feminist society. Hooks also discusses different classes, cultures, and races to create a true intersectional novel. 


While I did enjoy the novel and the information and theories that it gave, I felt that it was very repetitive. It was only 188 pages, but I feel as though this could have been an essay rather than a published novel. Overall, I would personally give this a 3/5.


Quotes

  • Page 68
    • “You should not have to tolerate any abuse to be loved.”
  • Page 70
    • Patriarchy rewards men for being put of touch with their feelings.


Comments

Popular Posts